Your 401(K) by the decade
Regardless of where you are in your career, it’s important to contribute to your 401(k). Here’s how much you should save by the end of each decade to make your golden years comfortable.
20s: Start contributing at least 10% of your gross earnings.
- - Aim to save: The equivalent of your annual salary.
30s: If you got a late start, save at least 15 to 20% of your gross salary.
- - Aim to save: 3x your salary.
40s: Monitor your spending so you stay on track with your retirement plan.
- - Aim to save: 4 to 6x your salary.
50s: Continue contributing as much as possible.
- -Aim to save: 8x your salary
60s: Ideally, you’ll retire sometime during this decade. Therefore, you want to have a nice stockpile.
- -Aim to save: 10x your salary