APPLY FOR A $4,000 SCHOLARSHIP
American Airlines Federal Credit Union remains committed to helping all members achieve their financial goals. We recognize that for many of our young member owners, the first step is higher education. Once again, we are pleased to offer a $4,000 scholarship for eleven members to invest in their future.
Although, most of the 2021 application can be completed via the online portal, official transcripts must be sent in separately. Completed applications will be reviewed by a judging committee.
The committee will review and select participants based on their:
-Letters of recommendation
-Extracurricular activities including school and community involvement, volunteer work and work experience.
Good luck! You'll find all the information you need either on this page, or once you start an application. For any further questions, please contact email@example.com.
The 2021 deadline has passed.
Please check back in December 2021 for more information on the 2022 program.
APPLYING FOR A SCHOLARSHIP
What you need to know before you begin your application:
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Check to make sure you meet all of the eligibility requirements.
- Within the online application:
- Send requests for two letters of recommendation
- Upload two essays (prompts can be found within the application)
- Upload a resume and photo
- Send copy of transcritp via email to:
- Complete application by 11:59 p.m., CST on May 17, 2021.
- be a member of American Airlines Federal Credit Union
- have his/her own account and be a member in good standing with American Airlines Credit Union
- either be a graduating high school senior or a current college student with minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- be enrolled full-time in college, university or trade school in Fall 2021
- not be a previous winner of any American Airlines Credit Union Scholarship
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- All fields filled out and submitted through the electronic portal
- Two letters of recommendation
- A transcript (postmarked or electronically uploaded by May 17, 2021)
- Parental Release Form, if applicable, for applicants under the age of 18
- A résumé no longer than two pages
- Two essays no longer than 300 words each
- An individual photo
- A Credit Union membership in good standing in the applicant’s name (to be verified by the Credit Union upon receipt of the transcript)
There are 11 scholarships available. There will be six high school winners and five college winners.
Although we wish we could give out more than the 11 $4,000 awards, we are unable to provide an award for every qualified applicant. During the 2021 Scholarship process, the committee reviewed and processed more than 300 applications.
All applicants from a previous year are welcome to apply again as long as they meet the requirements. However, as there have been some changes to the application, members must resubmit their information. Previous applicants using the same email address can use their previous password, or choose the “Forgot Password” prompt to reset. The Scholarship Committee will not be able to refer to any information submitted in a prior year when considering applications.
There is no age limit as long as the applicant meets all other eligibility requirements.
Graduate school students are eligible if they will be enrolled full time in the fall of 2021.
Applications must be completed by 11:59 p.m., CST on May 17, 2021. Transcripts must be postmarked by May 17, 2021. Applicants will be unable to access the application after the deadline has passed.
Members will have access to an online dashboard that will show the application status and which items are missing.
It is your responsibility to notify the Credit Union by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the deadline if your dahsboard shows inaccurate information. Please note that it could take a few days for your transcript to show that it has arrived.
A complete application must include all materials submitted by 11:59pm CST on May 17, 2021, unless otherwise noted below. Applications missing any materials will not be considered for the scholarship. A complete application includes:
Photos are used only for publicity for the winners. The judging committee does not see the photo of any applicant.
All applications must be submitted electronically with the exception of the transcript (which may be mailed in) and if applicable, the parental release (mailed in or electronic).
Winners will be notified by phone in August 2021. All other applicants will be notified via the email address included on their application in September 2021.
Scholarship winners will be presented a physical check or the scholarship will be deposited directly into their American Airlines Credit Union share account. Prior to receiving the scholarship funds, members must submit an acceptance letter or class schedule for the fall 2021 semester. If a winner cannot be contacted within five business days of the notification call, the scholarship will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected.
By selecting “Unrestricted,” you allow the Credit Union to publish and use excerpts of your application materials. Quotes or excerpts from your essays or video could be used in publications, advertising or social media. By selecting “Limited,” you prefer to be contacted prior to using your application materials. By selecting “Restricted,” your application will not be used on any subsequent materials. Your choice has no bearing on the scholarship selection.
Only members of the judging committee will have access to your essays. However, if you select “Unrestricted” in the release authorization, the Credit Union has permission to post or share either excerpts or your essay in its entirety.